Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tape And Patches

I have a love of storage. Boxes, bins and buckets oh my. Recent cleaning out of sheds and other pits of stacked stuff led me to re-discover a small set of plastic drawers that had been gathering dust and cobwebs for a while. Since I couldn't use my sewing machine and had a need to MAKE something I pounced on it.

First I had to clean the bejeebers out of it. After the washing there was the small matter of the tube of super glue that had melded with the top. Nail polish remover and patience took care of that. 

On to the gathering of materials... 
TAPE, One of my favorite materials to collect, Ruler, 5x8 cards (for dividers), Wax paper, Cutting tools and all the bits were assembled. 

The wax paper was used to measure and cut the strips of tape for covering the drawer fronts. You can lay the tape on it to cut and it doesn't immediately bond causing frustrating tar-baby curse moments. (I have also used it with punches to make "stickers" out of a few types of tape...) 

Once the drawer fronts were suitably decorated I used the single divider that was in it to measure and cut the 5x8 cards. I folded them double for stability and wrapped tape around leaving a small piece of the card at the fold line available to write on. 

Once done it was time to start organizing bits and bobs into the newly decorated set of drawers. They have a happy look I think.



After the power issue was fixed I was attacked by a pile of denim and corduroy scraps from several pairs of pants that had been thrifted for use in a bedspread.. They were supposed to turn into a mat for my keyboard but they had other ideas... 

What started as a simple flat rectangle transformed into a box bag with a vintage pillowcase lining and a reclaimed zipper. 
I used the stretch stitch that looks like lattice to join them flat in order to reduce seam bulk and trimmed as I went. The pinning and zipper installation was fairly pain free. The box corners can be a bit on the tricky side but I had a clear acrylic square with a 45 degree line to help get them "squared".

After this one was finished several other pieces of fabric started saying they were next in line to become bags. If only I had a use for all these bags that keep wanting to be made. (= 



I have also started a page to introduce a few of the creative souls I have recently come into contact with. It is short (one person) at the moment but I aim to add one a week at the minimum.
If you have an inspiring blogger that you would like me to add to the list please let me know. I love to see the creativity that abounds.

If you are a new viewer from the Glitterhood and have a second please leave a comment to let me know you are here. 

As always, Peace, Joy and love to you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment