Saturday, September 1, 2012

Unfocused productivity

Sometimes when I am feeling upset by reality and need to make art it won't flow the way I want it to. When that happens I try to take a deep breath and figure out what I can do instead of what I can't do. One of the things that has become a fall-back is to create backgrounds. I can use my little bottles of alcohol ink and my stencil type things. I can make the base for future artwork without stressing over what the finished piece will be. Finding a new way to combine the chunk of gutter guard with a piece of plastic mesh on the page is enough to satisfy the creative need. I love making the colors appear on the page as mush as I love putting the pen to paper.
If you are stuck, take a breath.
Look at what you have and say taking it slow is just fine.
Deadlines may work most of the time but art is a healing process as well. If you wake up and can't walk in a straight line let alone draw/paint/sew/stitch one think about how you can make doing those things easier once your head is back in the right place. That will let you feel like you are still making art because you are making ready for art to happen.

Have a breath right now and I hope you enjoy an art filled day.


No comments:

Post a Comment